Care for Your Pieces: Medome Process
- Prepare rice water or water with flour or potato starch (about 2 tablespoons) in a pot.
- Put the pieces in the rice water and bring to a boil: important that you will put the pieces first and bring it to boil. In another word, do not throw the pieces in the boiling water.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool in the pot till the water is cool enough to take the pieces out.
- When it cools, wash off the slimy feel and dry it well.
- Fill the donabe to about 80% with rice water. Rice water is the water from first rinsing the rice. (You can also use water + flour: Fill the pot to about 80% with water. Add 2 Tbsp. flour or potato starch and mix well.)
- Bring to a boil on medium-low heat and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Let the water cool to room temperature naturally. Once you can touch it with your bare hands and the water is close to room temperature, discard the water and rinse with water.
- Dry it with a clean cloth and allow to air dry completely overnight before first use or storing.
The pieces will gradually change their expression as they are used; however, if you want to keep the pieces fresh, we would recommend quickly rinse them in water and wipe it off before using them.
If you happen to leave them for a longer period of time, wrap the whole thing in cloth or paper and store it in a low humidity place.